Al amanecer con pajaretes
En Mayo con Las Pitayas
Amigo mas noble en el Labor de los Campos
Altar con Memorias y tokens de mi Madre y Abuelo
Oaxacan composer Jose Lopez Alavez wrote the melody of Canción Mixteca in 1912. He later added the composed lyrics in 1915. Lopez Alavez composed it originally about his feelings of homesickness for his home region of Oaxaca after moving to Mexico City. In the same way, when I listen to this song, I hear my mom's nostalgia for her home country.
"Que lejos estoy del suelo
Donde he nacido. Inmensa nostalgia
Invade mi pensamiento"
My parents came here to work because things were rock bottom for my family after long years of working en el campo when their boss's land got taken by the municipal government. Unfortunately, Mexico's government is very corrupt and many people find no other choice but to leave Mexico in hopes for a more dignified life. But Mexico is still such a beautiful country rich in natural resources and spirit. My mother always spoke of her memories when work en el campo de atoyac was still available. Her fondest memories are los pajaretes which she would have every morning growing up with her father when they would milk the cows. I got to try them frequently when I lived with my grandparents as a child since they were able to find new agricultural labor jobs. There's nothing better on an early morning than a freshly baked conchita with thick, fresh, whole milk, boiled with chololate abuelita, and a little bit of tequila to kill the bacteria.
The pitayas are what my mother misses most. La Pitaya solo se cultiva en Mexico y en Jalisco se cultiva solo en mayo. In other states that have volcanoes, like Oaxaca, they come sometimes even three times a year. La Pitaya is a fruit from a cactus native to Mexico. They are not to be confused with the tuna that grows from nopales (or cactus pads); or with pitahayas (dragon fruit, which has a florescent pink skin and grows in the U.S.). Pitayas are incredibly special; they are delicately sweet and they are rich in fiber.They come in several colors and sizes. They are always the most anticipated harvest of the year since it creates an incredible market. La Pitaya is also considered a huge blessing in the extreme May heat since its juices refresh and hydrate you so well. All the pueblos en areas near pitaya harvests put on festivals in honor of the fruit and to celebrate its harvest. I was lucky to enjoy this delicia for the first time in my life last may when I went to Mexico to visit my grandparents. I was lucky enough to join in the harvest. Here are some pictures of the fruit:
And last but not least. One of the most special experiences that my mom misses most was riding horses in the corn fields with her father after a long day of work in the fields. My grandfather always said that the horse was his most noble friend. As soon as I heard Canción Mixteca, this was all I could think of. The most cherished memories that my mom would tell me about all the time when I was growing up after her straining and long days of work in a factory here in the U.S.
"Que lejos estoy del suelo
Donde he nacido. Inmensa nostalgia
Invade mi pensamiento"
My parents came here to work because things were rock bottom for my family after long years of working en el campo when their boss's land got taken by the municipal government. Unfortunately, Mexico's government is very corrupt and many people find no other choice but to leave Mexico in hopes for a more dignified life. But Mexico is still such a beautiful country rich in natural resources and spirit. My mother always spoke of her memories when work en el campo de atoyac was still available. Her fondest memories are los pajaretes which she would have every morning growing up with her father when they would milk the cows. I got to try them frequently when I lived with my grandparents as a child since they were able to find new agricultural labor jobs. There's nothing better on an early morning than a freshly baked conchita with thick, fresh, whole milk, boiled with chololate abuelita, and a little bit of tequila to kill the bacteria.
The pitayas are what my mother misses most. La Pitaya solo se cultiva en Mexico y en Jalisco se cultiva solo en mayo. In other states that have volcanoes, like Oaxaca, they come sometimes even three times a year. La Pitaya is a fruit from a cactus native to Mexico. They are not to be confused with the tuna that grows from nopales (or cactus pads); or with pitahayas (dragon fruit, which has a florescent pink skin and grows in the U.S.). Pitayas are incredibly special; they are delicately sweet and they are rich in fiber.They come in several colors and sizes. They are always the most anticipated harvest of the year since it creates an incredible market. La Pitaya is also considered a huge blessing in the extreme May heat since its juices refresh and hydrate you so well. All the pueblos en areas near pitaya harvests put on festivals in honor of the fruit and to celebrate its harvest. I was lucky to enjoy this delicia for the first time in my life last may when I went to Mexico to visit my grandparents. I was lucky enough to join in the harvest. Here are some pictures of the fruit:
And last but not least. One of the most special experiences that my mom misses most was riding horses in the corn fields with her father after a long day of work in the fields. My grandfather always said that the horse was his most noble friend. As soon as I heard Canción Mixteca, this was all I could think of. The most cherished memories that my mom would tell me about all the time when I was growing up after her straining and long days of work in a factory here in the U.S.



No comments:
Post a Comment